Monday, March 03, 2008

gathered pullover debut

It's finished!

doesn't this look like a casual senior portrait pose?



extra fabric in the back



why so serious? i think the sun was in my eyes.

Project specs:
pattern: gathered pullover by hana jason interweave knits winter 2007
yarn: brown sheep top of the lamb sport in "appletree" 7 skeins
needles: US 7
size: 36.5
mods: short row shaping and three needle bind off at the shoulders. omitted the increases and decreases over the bust near the cabled section.

verdict: meh. it's ok.

i was really disappointed with how this sweater came out at first. There was way more ease in the garment than i had originally planned for. the shoulders like to fall down into some sort of flashdance-esque bra display that i'm not into. in the photo i have the sweater safety pinned to the gray undershirt in four places around the shoulder and it's still slouchy. i got a few complements from some people in my college classes which made me realize that it's not a bad sweater, it's just not what i was originally going for.

did you notice the weird color faded stripe in the middle? i didn't notice it until the sweater was nearly done. some kind of freak yarn dyeing fluke. it's not in a terrible spot, but it annoys me a little bit.

all in all it was a quick, enjoyable knit with sizing errors on my part. i still love the color of the yarn. yum yum.

20 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I love it. I think it looks really good on you.

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry that the fit isn't to your liking. For what it's worth, I think it looks excellent on you. The color is perfect for spring/summer!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Happily Knit said...

Oh my GOODNESS! I love love love it. I know I've been saying that this whole time, but it seriously fits you really well! I know what you mean about not initially being pleased with the finished project (that happens to me a LOT), but at least this one has grown on you and it seriously looks fantastic. Can you tell I like it?

Oh, and I will be emailing you something a little goofy too, your first photo reminded me of it! :)

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger pamela said...

I think it looks great! Glad to see you've been able to fit some knitting in with the student teaching.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Yeah, the color of the sweater is my favorite. It looks amazing on you too--you should only ever wear that color. :)

I think the sweater looks great--not sure why you are so so about it. But, I understand when a knit doesn't turn out as you picture it. For the record though, I think it looks really great.

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this sweater is really cute on you!

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Lolly said...

I *really* like it. the color is beautiful, and I like the looser fit too. I do hope it "grows" on you and you like it more as you wear it more. it looks fabulous on you - that first photo looks like a magazine photoshoot!
:)

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

It looks gorgeous.

I've noticed on other versions that there's an awkward horizontal line near the cross-over in the middle. Is that why you omitted the increases/decreases? That's the one thing stopping me from knitting this sweater.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Jenny Girl said...

I'm sorry it's not to your liking but I think it is cute. The yarn color is a good choice for you as well.
I can understand what you mean though, as far not what you expected.

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks pretty good on you! Fantastic!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The color of the sweater is gorgeous!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Octopus Knits said...

I know how annoying it is when things don't come out the way you expected them to, however, the sweater looks really gorgeous on you! The color is beautiful and the fit is relaxed and lovely (too bad you have to pin it to get the shoulders to stay up, though).

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger amanda said...

sorry it didnt come out the way you wanted, but it is a great color and a great sweater. hope you like it more as you wear it!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Knittingknutty said...

I think it is gorgeous and very pretty on you.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger The Dollars said...

That's beautiful! I love the color. It fits you really well in the pictures. I'm sure it'll grow on you even more.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Kara said...

Oh, i think it turned out really lovely. I especially love the color. But I understand your reservations about it. Maybe there is a way to just shrink it just a smidge. But regardless, I think it is so cute on you.

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Sorry this is a bit late... Stumbled on your blog looking for hat pattern (fantastic robin's egg hat!) I think the sweater looks great. About the shoulder-revealing neck line, have you tried stabilising it the collar with crochet (ref: http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2008/02/24/hooking_because_i_have_to.html ). Maybe making it less stretch would help?

 
At 2:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sweater is great, but even more I <3 your haircut! super cute!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Tabitha said...

Great color choice for that sweater. I think yours is the prettiest I have seen in that pattern.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Kucki68 said...

I am glad I saw this on you, makes me warry of the neckline, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home