Wednesday, March 15, 2006

papa bob

i'm not sure where to start. there's so much i could say about him, but i'm not sure how to say it.

my papa bob passed away on monday, March 13th. i love him dearly. he was very funny, in fact, he wrote hilarious short mystery stories for alfred hitchcock magazine. he really loved a good joke. his smile was so quirky it softened your heart. he was an awesome grandfather to me. he gave me a gift that brings me solace and comfort each day. it continually brings me joy and i feel creative and unique when i use this gift. my papa bob taught me to knit.

when i was eight years old, he took me into the "little house" where he and my granny lived and he pulled out a bag of yarn. i picked out a dusty blue yarn and he gave me some old metal needles, then he proceeded to teach me the long-tail cast on. next came the incredible knit stitch. i knit and knit on the bed in the little house. he was so patient with me. i'm a very easily distracted person, but he managed to sit me down long enough to teach me to knit. i was on a roll for about a year, but i put the craft down for years only to rediscover it again my freshman year of college and he was overjoyed to hear that i'd fallen in love with it again. my papa bob loved to knit these booties that were almost a sock but without the shaping. if you mention the booties to anyone in my family, they know exactly what i'm talking about. he and my granny always had a pair on. my granny is giving me the pattern, which really means a lot to me.

i think i miss his smile most.

2 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the thoughtful words about how Papa helped you to learn to knit!
Bless you!
Uncle Joe

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, that was sweet about your Papa Bob. When you get the instructions for the knitted booties, will you share it with me. Grandma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home